OPPONENTS of a huge ‘macro development’ on one of Andalucia’s last stretches of unspoilt coastline have been given another two months to gather names on a petition.
The protest group opposed to the massive 600-room hotel project, near El Palmar beach, on the Costa de la Luz, need 40,000 signatures to force the scheme to be debated in Parliament.
Currently the group Salvar el Palmar (PELP) has over 25,000 signatures, but is expecting thousands more with both Sevilla and Cadiz universities getting involved this month.
Developers Chival Promociones plan to build two luxury hotels and create 300 jobs in the area.
It was originally apparently shelved in 2009 when company Riera Marsa pulled out of an agreement.
But now new backers, including Cajasol bank, are once again making it viable.
Backed by UK celebrities including Hugh Cornwall, from the Stranglers and Paul Weller from the Jam, Pelp was originally set up when the plan was first presented in 2009 by Vejer Town Hall.
A spokesman Lola Yllescas said: “This will destroy one of the last undeveloped nature spots in Andalucia. It is a disgrace.”
The petition can be signed at http://www.salvarelpalmar.es/
- OPEN SEASON: Giles Brown puts up many a guest at his place, but draws the line at garden yurts - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00