THE Marbella expat community lost a hugely popular member with the sudden death of Books4Spain founder Rod Younger. Rod, 53, suffered a sudden massive heart attack at his Nueva Andalucia home.
Born in Spain but growing up in London, Rod descibed himself as “Anglo-Spanish” and being bi-lingual he was equally at home with both locals and expats.
This passion for Spanish culture – especially food, history and literature -found a natural voice in his newly-finished website books4spain, which specialised in Spanish books and had the motto “Passion for Spain”. Rod had also been one of the expert panel that helped picked the 100 most influential expats in Andalucia for a special edition of the Olive Press two years ago.
Rod’s funeral was held today (Friday, 5 July 2013) at the Cementario Virgin del Carmen on the Ojen road. Friends packed into the chapel with many standing outside to hear Rod’s sister deliver a moving eulogy.
Books4Spain later announced that it would keep the website operating as a fitting tribute to Rod.
- Giles Brown is more Christopher Biggins than Christopher Reeve as he learns to fly in southern Spain - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 16:08
- OPEN SEASON: Giles Brown puts up many a guest at his place, but draws the line at garden yurts - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00