SHE came to Spain to enjoy a two week holiday for the first time in five years.
But Clare Myers trip ended in tears when she had a horrific reaction to her sun cream that left her needing emergency care for two days in hospital.
The mother-of-two was left looking ‘less model and more Michelin man’ when her face swelled up after applying Piz Buin’s 1 Day Long sun cream.
“My cheeks were so big I had to drink through a straw,” said Clare, 42, who had to have a course of steroids creams and antihistamines to stop her body flaring up more.
Her family rushed her to Clinica Juaneda, in Menorca where she was put on a drip to bring down the allergic reaction.
Doctors at the hospital’s A&E department were concerned about her high blood pressure and feared she would struggle to breathe because of the swelling.
Ms Myers said: ‘It completely ruined our holiday. It cost us over €2,000 and it was our first two-week holiday in five years.’
Manufacturers Johnson & Johnson insisted: ‘Piz Buin 1 Day Long is a safe and effective sun protection product. It contains only permitted ingredients and is labelled according to legal requirements.’
However, Marie Goldie, 37, from Glasgow, suffered a similar reaction to Ms Myers while on holiday in Spain in 2011.
Doctors in Tenerife said her reaction was so bad they feared she’d need surgery to save her sight.
- Leonardo DiCaprio flying high on vacation in Ibiza - 12 Aug, 2013 @ 09:14
- You CAN get sunburned while driving in the car… with the windows up! - 12 Aug, 2013 @ 09:01
- Delicious treats at half the calories - 11 Aug, 2013 @ 08:11
- Gay bars in Andalucia ban vodka - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 09:00
- Ne-Yo spotted all over Marbella - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 11:46
- Man arrested for filming nude sunbathers with a hidden camera - 8 Aug, 2013 @ 12:33
- Spanish paedophile re-arrested as he entered Spain - 7 Aug, 2013 @ 12:03
- Fishing dispute leads to the most draconian clampdown in recent Gibraltar history - 7 Aug, 2013 @ 11:08
- Eva Longoria hosts charity golf tournament in Marbella - 6 Aug, 2013 @ 15:08
- El Torcal is semi-finalist for top award of sites in Spain - 5 Aug, 2013 @ 15:48