SOME of the biggest names in literature including Ben Okri and Kate Adie are coming to Gibraltar next month.
The Gibunco Gibraltar International Literary Festival, the first of its kind on the Rock, will take place between October 25- 27. The festival is initiative of the Government of Gibraltar and is directed by the organisers of the Oxford Literary Festival.
Alongside a stellar line-up of international authors including prize-winning author Joanne Harris and Man Booker Prize winner Ben Okri, the programme reflects the rich cultural heritage that comes from Gibraltar’s location between Europe and Africa and from the influence of the Mediterranean and the Atlantic.
Richard Hamilton will recount the tale of how he tracked down the last few remaining storytellers of the Marrakech Medina to record their tales for his book, The Last Storytellers: Tales from the Heart of Morocco, while Tom Mogford and Jason Webster – authors based in the Mediterranean – will bring a sense of danger to the Festival as they discuss crime in the sun.
Novelist, and former Moroccan culture minister, Mohammed Achaari will take part in an event, as will a range of Spanish authors including Mercedes Aguirre.
Three of the world’s most celebrated chefs and cookery writers, Claudia Roden, Ken Homand and Madhur Jaffrey will bring flavours from around the world to Gibraltar; other well-known globetrotters joining the Festival include former BBC foreign correspondent Kate Adie.
By clicking onto gibraltarliteraryfestival.com, visitors can now buy tickets for this year’s festival and subscribe to the official e-zine containing all the latest news as well as information on authors and events taking place at the festival.
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00
- What NOT to do at your office Christmas party in Spain - 21 Dec, 2018 @ 12:00
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01
- When it rains… - 28 Oct, 2018 @ 12:24
- Watch out, there’s a new 80s revival in town, but don’t except big hair and shoulder pads - 30 Sep, 2018 @ 12:10
- We’ve survived another mad Marbella summer - 15 Sep, 2018 @ 12:00
- TRIBUTE: Remembering Costa del Sol legendary singer Mel Williams - 2 Sep, 2018 @ 16:00
- AUGUST ANGST: Summer in southern Spain presents some interesting challenges - 4 Aug, 2018 @ 13:23