A WELL known entertainer on the coast faces an uncertain Christmas due to a misunderstanding with two plain clothes Spanish police.
Father-of-three Jason Coleman, 44, was pinned to the ground and handcuffed after he ran from what he thought was an attempted mugging.
It happened when he accidentally knocked on the door of an apartment under surveillance by police in Benalmadena.
The Mancunian, who has lived on the coast for a decade, had actually meant to knock on his friend´s door, who lived one floor above.
“It all started when I went to see a friend in the Ibis apartments in Benalmadena” explained the singer, who lives nearby.
“I didn’t know the block very well and got off on the wrong floor. As I was knocking on what I thought was his front door, a man and a woman came up behind me.
“They shouted ‘police’ and flipped their badges at me really quickly. They were not in uniform and I didn’t get a chance to see them,” explains Jason, who had unwittingly knocked on the door of a Moroccan drug dealer under surveillance.
Assuming he was about to be mugged he broke free and ran to the lobby where he thought he was safe.
But the policemen chased him and he was bundled to the ground and put under arrest.
He was taken to Torremolinos Police Station where he was kept in a cell for 24 hours and not allowed to make a phone call to let his wife know what had happened.
“It caused my family huge stress because I didn’t come home that night. My wife was very worried and put a post out on Facebook, asking if anyone had seen me.”
He was eventually released and charged with resisting arrest and told he cannot leave the country.
“I have no idea what is going on and have not been told if I am going to court or not and when.
“Clearly a planned trip back to the UK to see my family is in the balance. I’m not in a position to hire a solicitor, so it really is causing me and my family a lot of stress.”
He continues: “I’m an honest guy. I’ve worked hard and done everything correctly here. I’m a family man and my three kids were really upset when I didn’t come home that night. The whole thing is totally ridiculous. I am desperate for some help and advice.”
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40