A NEW petition has been launched to fight a controversial golf development near Nerja.
The huge La Coladilla ‘macroproject’ that includes 1,000 luxury homes, a five-star hotel and an 18-hole golf course has been given the go ahead after a decade of legal wrangling.
But the massive €165 million scheme, built beside one of Spain’ most beautiful nature parks, has received considerable opposition from locals and green groups.
The scheme, promoted by George Soros and the Med Group, has finally been given the go ahead after Nerja Town Hall overturned a Junta ruling on appeal at Spain’s Supreme Court.
The development – planned for north of the famous Nerja Caves, bordering the beautiful Sierra de Tejeda, Almijara and Alhama natural park – was stopped in its tracks in 2006.
The site was originally purchased for 15 million by multinational developers Medgroup in 2002.
It soon had permission from Nerja Town Hall but Junta planning regulations put a stop to the project and since then it has been going through the courts.
Now Spain’s Tribunal Supremo has ruled that the project can go ahead.
Nerja Mayor Jose Alberto Armijo has highlighted “the impact that this large golf complex project, defended for many years by us, will have on Nerja.
“Justice has spoken and Nerja town hall was right.”
The Junta is studying the decision in preparation for launching an appeal due to the environmental impact on the area.
In the meantime, an internet campaign set up against the project has received around 1000 signatures.
Located on the Change.org website, the petition is named ‘Ayunamiento de Nerja. Paralice el proyectado campo de golf con 1000 viviendas’.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58