WHEN there’s a €17,500 golden bottle of champagne doing the rounds at a Marbella pool party, there’s usually a premiership footballer behind it.
And it was Sunderland striker Connor Wickham’s turn to splash the cash at Marbella’s glitzy Ocean Club this week, where he rang up a €25,000 bar bill, equivalent to his weekly pay cheque.
Wickham celebrated keeping his club in the Premiership last season by sharing the 15-litre mega bottle with friends and waiters, while posing for topless photos.
The luxurious Armand de Brignac brand is rated the number one champagne in the world, and is a favourite of American rap star Jay Z.
Simply carrying the enormous bottle around will have helped big-spending Wickham get in shape for pre-season training, which begins this week.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44