SPANISH and Moroccan law enforcement have detained 20 Spanish citizens in a transnational hashish trafficking case.
Besides the four planes and 240 kilos of hashish valued at €40 thousand, the operation involved 23 vehicles, seven motorcycles, two jet skis, two boats, and two short-range firearms.
According to the Directorate General of the Civil Guard, two planes departed for Morocco June 14th with the intention to obtain the drugs. Spanish officials spotted them flying at night at low altitude – a tactic used to avoid radar detection.
The investigation began after one of the suspected planes crashed in Morocco, which allowed the Civil Guard to find out that the drugs were picked up somewhere between Moroccan cities Tangier and Larache.
The planes were intercepted on the flight back to Cadiz, on which the 240 kilos of hashish and three of the criminals.
Afterward, Moroccan law enforcement notified Cadiz police of eleven suspect homes, from which eleven more criminals were arrested.
Three more airplanes were intercepted afterwards, including the other plane that flew from Cadiz June 14th.
The traffickers were flying ‘Cessna’ planes, which are notable for their ability to land almost anywhere, including farmlands, which the traffickers used as landing strips.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05