IF there is a beautiful resort on the Costa del Sol, there’s nearly always a beautiful golf course accompanying it.
Well, unsurprisingly, Sotogrande and its three world class courses don’t disappoint.
The NH Hotel Almenara was designed by Ryder Cup champion and respected course architect David Thomas, while Valderrama and Sotogrande are two of the most respected in Spain.
Anyone with half an interest in sport will remember the fantastic last few holes of the Ryder Cup in 1997 when Colin Montgomery played the best round of his life.
That was at Valderrama, which is now viewed as one of the must-play golf courses in Europe, beautifully maintained, but sometimes thought to be a touch too hard.
There are five other golf courses around Sotogrande, the first being Real Club de Golf de Sotogrande, also known as the Old Course, which was the first course built.
Well maintained, it is said to be a dream to play after its trickier sister Valderrama.
It was here that the so-called Bermuda grass was first introduced into Spain.
The other courses include La Canada, La Reserve, San Roque, as well as Almenara, which is up in the hills and where celebrities Glenn Hoddle and Glen Johnson have homes.
“There are few places with such a high concentration of golf courses,” says Ian Bateman, of Holmes estate agents. “When you add the fabulous tennis facilities and polo club, with its 11 full size courses, the facilities in Sotogrande are second to none.”
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44