A BRITISH American expat novel has been banned from the Alhambra Palace, in the first such incident for 30 years.
Song of Granada, by Anne Sikking, has been banned from all three of the Alhambra’s bookshops as well as the state-run hotel, The Parador.
The launch – booked, paid for and scheduled to take place at the Alhambra on October 20 – has had to be relocated at the last minute.
“The managers of the Alhambra have a very important job to do in caring for this unique treasure,” said Sikking.
“But of course it has been disappointing to find that Song of Granada is being excluded by people who admit to not having read it, not least because it is a work of fiction.
“There is not a single swear word and not one act of violence between people, so it’s still not clear to me what is being objected to. And of course as a writer with a work of fiction being released in modern Spain, this type of censorship has been a total surprise.”
Both the Alhambra Palace and The Parador hotel feature in the book, which documents a terrorist attack in the palace grounds.
Liz Chadwick, press officer for the book’s small British publisher Squaw Pies, added: “The book has received praise from Spanish, Irish and British writers, so all this has come as a complete bolt from the blue.”
The reason for the ban, according to the publisher, is that it is thought the book shows both Granada and the Alhambra in a bad light.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05