GREENPEACE supporters are taking to the streets to protest against the seizure of the green group’s ship by the Spanish navy.
Hundreds of people are expected to turn out in Malaga today to demand the release of the Arctic Sunrise.
The ship was seized by authorities on November 18, following a peaceful protest on the waters surrounding Lanzarote.
Mario Rodriguez, director of Greenpeace Spain, said: “The detention of the Arctic Sunrise violates the rights of all people who strive to defend the environment.
“It’s telling that the Spanish Government would so quickly support the interests of an oil company, Repsol, against a peaceful environmental organisation which stands alongside millions of people who oppose reckless oil exploration.”
Demonstrators will meet at the Paseo de Sancha, in Malaga, at 6pm today to ‘defend the rights of the environment’.
Meanwhile, in the Canary Islands hundreds of people took to the streets yesterday under the banner ‘Canaries not for sale’ to protest against Repsol’s oil exploration.
A recent poll found 75% of the Islands’ residents are against oil drilling and fracking in the surrounding waters.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36