EXCLUSIVE: By Tom Powell
AN Irish expat has been arrested for stealing a dog that had been ‘chained up’ and ‘living off stale bread’ for two years.
Animal-lover Pat Waterhouse, 65, cut the heavy chain around the boxer in order to take it to her home near Alora, where she looks after more than 50 dogs.
However, CCTV footage gave her away to the dog’s owner and no less than FIVE Guardia Civil officers were soon on her doorstep.
Despite protests, the following day she was hauled into the police station for a five-hour grilling.
She is now facing trial for ‘violent robbery’, which will likely result in a fine according to the lawyer.
“I broke the law – the fact that I think the law is wrong is irrelevant – so I will accept whatever punishment is dished out,” she told the Olive Press this week.
“But the dog was guarding an empty house and living off steal bread if and when the owner decided to visit. It needed to be freed.
“As it was such a ‘major’ crime it took three Guardia officers and two representing the Guardia’s environmental arm Seprona to interrogate me – talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.”
Waterhouse has also been issued orders from Seprona to reduce the number of animals at her home and get necessary licences.
She has used the incident to promote the work of Actin-Spain, an organisation fighting to get laws concerning animal welfare changed.
“The best thing to do is take pictures, record incidents and keep reporting to Seprona and local police,” added Waterhouse.
Guardia Civil confirmed to the Olive Press that Waterhouse was arrested for the theft of a dog, and faces criminal trial.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44