PLANS to construct 1,500 brand new homes on Gibraltar have been announced.
The government intends to build 1,000 flats on the Eastside reclamation site, while a further 500 flats will be built on land opposite Watergardens, near Ocean village.
The news comes as almost 900 flats have been allocated for the two housing schemes currently under construction, Mons Calpe Mews and Beach View Terraces.
Allocations were based on the housing waiting list, with priority given to those who were on the list when the current government was elected in December 2011.
“We are determined not to repeat past mistakes and have therefore prioritised the construction of affordable housing,” said Chief Minister Fabian Picardo.
“It was a flagship policy in the manifesto that got us elected and it is a commitment on which the Government has delivered with Mons Calpe Mews, Beach View Terraces and Charles Bruzon House already under construction.
“We intend to continue the supply of homes so that everyone eligible who wants one of these flats is able to obtain one,” he added.
In total, 47 one-bedroom flats, 312 two-bedroom flats, 477 three-bedroom flats and 59 four-bedroom flats have already been snapped up in Mons Calpe Mews and Beach View Terraces.
The two new projects have not yet been presented to the Development and Planning Commission.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44