EXCLUSIVE: By Rob Horgan
TWO heroic expats crawled down a storm drain to rescue seven stranded pooches after they were thrown out of a car by their owner.
Brit Gill Swain and South African Lee Kimber crawled on their stomachs through the muddy drain for 40 metres to save the distressed dogs.
After a painstaking three-hour rescue operation, six pointer/labrador cross puppies and their mother were successfully recovered.
Swain, who works at Cat and Dog World in Alhaurin el Grande, said: “It was horrible. Snails were crunching under our bodies as we shuffled along the drain, the smell was unbearable.
“But I am so glad we did it. With all the rain we have had, the puppies would have drowned down there.”
Kimber, 43, got involved in the rescue after S.O.S Animals Spain appealed for a ‘small person’ to step in, after a passer by spotted the dogs being thrown from a car.
She said: “It was quite scary in the drain. I didn’t realise how far along we had crawled until we reached the dogs and I turned around.
“We were covered in mud, slime and goodness knows what else by the end of it, but it was worth it to get the dogs out.”
If you are interested in rehoming the dogs, contact S.O.S Animals on 635 987 680
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36