THE Mayor of Marbella’s husband is set to profit substantially from a land exchange between Marbella and Benahavis.
An agreement has been reached between Mayor Angeles Munoz and the PP Mayor of Benahavis Jose Antonio Mena, for 170,000 square metres of Marbella’s land to be gifted to Benahavis.
The land – which was classed as non-urban in Marbella – will be urbanised under the new Plan Parcial of the neighbouring Benahavis.
Thanks to the plan, up to 50 luxury villas can then be built on the land known as Vega del Jaque, as agreed by the two mayors.
But the exchange could not be more beneficial for well-known property promoter Lars Broberg – the husband of Munoz – and his brother Jim Broberg.
Various companies belonging to the brothers own more than 120,000 square metres of land in the affected zone, and will benefit substantially from the new homes.
The mayor’s family, however, will not be able to build the five-star hotel that they had previously planned for the site, according to Spanish news site Marbella Confidencial.
The affected land zone also includes more than 7,300 square metres of ‘archeaological site’, which only adds to the controversy.
At the first meeting of a citizen movement that opposes the assignment of the land, the well-known ecologist Javier de Luis cited a previous similar case involving the Broberg brothers.
In 2009, he said, the Brobergs built 99 houses – following a similar demarcation agreement – on a site that had previously been set aside for just 39 houses.
The Plan Parcial – which covers 254,000 square metres – is still pending a final approval from the Junta.
To sign the online petition against the agreement, visit the petition on change.org
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05