DECISION day is looming. With less than a month to go, election debates and campaigns are in full swing.
In the three years since I turned 18, I have never voted in any Spanish local elections. I never had a interest in politics and I took a very naïve attitude of “why bother? It’s not going to affect me and my future”.
Since then, I feel that I’ve grown up more and my attitude towards things has changed. It may be thanks to the journalism course I’m taking, but I have realised that whatever decision a politician makes may have an affect on my life and those of my peers.
So this year, I have decided to vote in the UK general elections. I applied for overseas voting a few weeks ago and am now able to cast my vote in May.
Many people that I have spoken to don’t understand why I want to vote. I’ve been told that I’ll be wasting my time, and that whoever I vote for will do whatever they want without the public’s consideration. Not to mention that I don’t live in the UK anymore.
I understand what everyone is saying and I know that I am no longer a UK resident, but I feel that I’m doing the right thing, that now is the right time.
I’ll admit I’m not a huge admirer of any of the political parties. Some of their policies I agree with, whilst others I don’t. But I am going to vote. I don’t know who for yet, but I’ve been watching the debates and I’m slowly making a conclusion.
I maybe making a mistake in voting, but it’s a mistake I’m willing to make. Whatever happens in May could have an impact on expats lives as well as UK residents.
Am I wasting my time in voting? Let me know your thoughts.
- Stop blaming Europe - 7 Jun, 2016 @ 22:08
- Europe: In or out? - 8 Mar, 2016 @ 09:24
- Bye bye Mr Negativity - 17 Jan, 2016 @ 18:10
- Humid not hot! - 16 Sep, 2015 @ 16:50
- Don’t mind me, I’m just shy - 11 Jul, 2015 @ 11:26
- San Juan festival in Spain - 8 Jun, 2015 @ 08:44
- Decision time! - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 17:27
- A young cosmopolitan stuck in a Spanish village - 25 Feb, 2015 @ 22:38
- A New Year but same old ways - 6 Jan, 2015 @ 11:39
- Lights, Camera, Action for Almeria! - 26 Nov, 2014 @ 17:14