“BRITAIN has gone to the dogs, they need to get out of Europe once and for all” someone nearby me shouted.
“If Britain leaves the EU there will be consequences for everyone. Mark my words, it’s the wrong way to go” replied their companion.
That was enough for me to walk away and dismiss their whole conversation. Little did I know that that wouldn’t be the last time I heard a discussion on that subject. It was just the beginning.
With the date announced for the Brexit referendum to take place (23 June), the politicians of the In and Out campaigns have started a long run of debates.
The Prime Minister has pleaded with voters to remain in the EU, whilst the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, has joined the Out campaign, saying that Britain is better off leaving the Eurozone.
People were promised a vote, but this means that difficult and unknown times lie ahead for everyone.
The economy has already started to see a downturn, but what expats want to know is, what will happen to us if a yes vote wins? Will we be able to stay in our adoptive European countries, or will we be forced to leave?
Those people who have said that Britain leaving the EU won’t change expatriates lives are wrong! This referendum will have an impact on everyone who lives and works in Europe. People may become unemployed and free healthcare could stop.
The only chance we have to be able to stay in the EU is by voting. I’ve re-registered for overseas voting forms, but there are thousands of expats who haven’t.
If you have appeared on the UK voting register in the last 15 years, then you are still able to vote and have your say. The uncertainty about Britain’s future is imminent, but our votes could make a difference in the polls. I will certainly be voting to stay in. But the question is: are you in, or are you out?
- Stop blaming Europe - 7 Jun, 2016 @ 22:08
- Europe: In or out? - 8 Mar, 2016 @ 09:24
- Bye bye Mr Negativity - 17 Jan, 2016 @ 18:10
- Humid not hot! - 16 Sep, 2015 @ 16:50
- Don’t mind me, I’m just shy - 11 Jul, 2015 @ 11:26
- San Juan festival in Spain - 8 Jun, 2015 @ 08:44
- Decision time! - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 17:27
- A young cosmopolitan stuck in a Spanish village - 25 Feb, 2015 @ 22:38
- A New Year but same old ways - 6 Jan, 2015 @ 11:39
- Lights, Camera, Action for Almeria! - 26 Nov, 2014 @ 17:14