CELEBRATING 40 years of music making, the concerts, performed in Iglesia de la Encarnacion, given by the choir and Orchestra of Collegiun Musicum Costa del Sol joined by the Camerata Singers of Sotogrande and InCantus from Gibraltar excelled themselves in the sheer joy that they gave to a most appreciative full house.
The evening began with Annamaria Philipps, their director of music, receiving an award for her untiring support of Concordia, made by their president, S.A.R. Ma. Luisa de Prusia, Condesa de Schönburg.
The program opened with Mendelssohn’s beautiful setting of “Hear My Prayer O For The Wings Of A Dove” with Soprano, Samantha Bowling, there followed two movements from Bizet, “L’Arlesienne suite” No.2 (The Girl From Arles) that put the orchestra centre stage.
The main work of the evening was Gounod’s “Messe Solenmelle de Saint Cécile” (paying homage to the patron saint of music) where the soprano was joined by Luis López Navarro, bass-baritone from Marbella, and Gibraltarian Phillip Borge, tenor, to make a most accomplished trio. The work, in seven movements is intended for both church and stage, and as such it embodies lyrical beauty that stands out as one of the finest works of Charles Gounod.
It is a massive undertaking for a music society to take on, but, undaunted Annemarie together with every member of the society has achieved, what I can only describe as a most memorable performance. Annemarie demonstrated yet again, what brilliance she can exhort from each and every one of the some 100 musicians and voices, and they should all be extremely proud of their achievement. Finally the voice of Soloist, Phillip Borge was quite exceptional, and I for one, would look forward to hearing to him again.
The society are always looking for new instrumentalists and singers to join them – to find out more contact the secretary Driekje Lawson [email protected] (Tel: 952 775 492).
Next from Collegium Musicum’s is the Christmas concert – to receive information about this, put your name on their email list. Their web site is www.colmus.org
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38