A PERFORMANCE by the choir and orchestra of Collegium Musicum with the Camerata Singers of Puccini’s joyous Messa di Gloria under the baton of the ebullient Annemarie Philipps with Philip Borg tenor and Luis Lopez Navarro bass-baritone can only be described as triumphant, so much so that, possibly because of the climactic ending to the Gloria, the audience gave an spontaneous burst of applause before the Credo.
The eighty or so choristers were in fine voice, and both of the soloist gave an immaculate and touching rendering of what must be the first major oratorio of the 18 year old Puccini.
The evening began with Saint-Saens Morceau de Concert op.94 with Alexander Mutafchiev, on French horn, whos playing evoked memories of Dennis Brain that superb exponent of this, the most difficult of instruments to master. So well done that man.
The whole of this took place in the Iglesia de la Encarnacion in Marbella and was the second of three performances, the last of which is to take place at the Iglesia Nuestra Senora de la Merced in Sotogrande on 5 June at 8pm.
The very appreciative audience insisted on an encore that was given by choir, orchestra and soloist to further cheers. I find that Annamarie’s concerts are so uplifting and they always leave me, and I suspect many others, with happiness in my heart and a smile on my face. So to you Annamarie and all who took part – thank you – thank you – thank you!
Collegium Musicum are always looking for new instrumentalists and choristers.
• For further information contact Driekje Lawson on 952 775 492 or 659 111 526 or by email [email protected]
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05