By Morris Bishop
A SPRING concert was given on Thursday, 12 May at the Hotel Gran Melia Don Pepe, Marbella by Rose Pereez Diaz (mezzo-soprano), and David Geary (baritone), accompanied on the piano by Carmen Blanko, under the auspices of Amigos de la Musica Marbella.
A programme of songs was received with delight by a packed audience who at the end, insisted on an encore.
They started with ‘Habanera’ (Love is a Rebellious Bird), epitomising the character of the title player in Bizet’s Carmen, then that wonderful duet ‘Je t’aime’ and finally ‘The Toreadors Song’.
From Franz Lehar’s operetta The Merry Widow came ‘I go to Maxim’s’ that famous Parisian restaurant always full of beautiful ladies that Count Dannilo reminisces about.
This was followed a touching performance of “The Maid of the Wood” by Hanna (The Merry Widow), and lastly the duet ‘Silent Lips’ where the two principles bemoan the fact that they dare not speak of their undying love.
After a champagne interval, three songs from Cole Porter’s ‘Kiss me Kate’, ‘Where is the Life’, ‘So in Love’, and ‘Wunderbar’.
Finally 5 excerpts from Zarzuela (Spanish comic opera) that the predominantly Spanish audience absolutely loved.
This was a most enjoyable evening in delightful surroundings given by three entertainers who know how to please their audience and should you hear that they are performing again, and don’t want to miss it, make a booking.
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04