By Morris Bishop
A SPRING concert was given on Thursday, 12 May at the Hotel Gran Melia Don Pepe, Marbella by Rose Pereez Diaz (mezzo-soprano), and David Geary (baritone), accompanied on the piano by Carmen Blanko, under the auspices of Amigos de la Musica Marbella.
A programme of songs was received with delight by a packed audience who at the end, insisted on an encore.
They started with ‘Habanera’ (Love is a Rebellious Bird), epitomising the character of the title player in Bizet’s Carmen, then that wonderful duet ‘Je t’aime’ and finally ‘The Toreadors Song’.
From Franz Lehar’s operetta The Merry Widow came ‘I go to Maxim’s’ that famous Parisian restaurant always full of beautiful ladies that Count Dannilo reminisces about.
This was followed a touching performance of “The Maid of the Wood” by Hanna (The Merry Widow), and lastly the duet ‘Silent Lips’ where the two principles bemoan the fact that they dare not speak of their undying love.
After a champagne interval, three songs from Cole Porter’s ‘Kiss me Kate’, ‘Where is the Life’, ‘So in Love’, and ‘Wunderbar’.
Finally 5 excerpts from Zarzuela (Spanish comic opera) that the predominantly Spanish audience absolutely loved.
This was a most enjoyable evening in delightful surroundings given by three entertainers who know how to please their audience and should you hear that they are performing again, and don’t want to miss it, make a booking.
- Read our latest newspapers: Andalucia, Mallorca, Costa Blanca & Gibraltar - 26 May, 2019 @ 09:35
- Meet Kaat Buelens, an expat Sabinillas restaurant owner and political underdog running to be your local councillor in Manilva - 25 May, 2019 @ 14:00
- Open letter from PP’s Javier Quero to people of Casares, as he bids to become mayor and ‘return Casares to its former glory’ - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: As featured in Olive Press, The Paradise Retreat that has won International Acclaim - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER! :Expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections – in which FINALLY foreigners count - 24 May, 2019 @ 01:45
- Travelling to Madrid for the Champions League Final? How to Stay Safe in the Capital - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:24
- Why is Customer Service Training Important to a Business - 21 May, 2019 @ 16:38
- Is La Liga in Danger of Irrelevance? - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:21
- Sign up with Spain’s only ‘all-in- English’ mobile service - 21 May, 2019 @ 06:46
- Spanish study finds that eating nuts in first trimester of pregnancy improves child brain development - 19 May, 2019 @ 11:00