ICONIC French actress Madeleine LeBeau has died in Estepona aged 92.
The last surviving actor from the hollywood classic Casablanca died from complications following a broken thigh bone.
The Hollywood starlet first appears in the 1942 film as the love interest of bar owner Rick Blaine, played by legend Humphrey Bogart.
After being jilted, she gets drunk before later reemerging on the arm of a Nazi officer in a bar in French-controlled Morocco.
But when the Nazi comrades begin singing, fugitive resistance leader Victor Laszlo leads the bar in a stirring rendition of the French resistance song La Marseillaise.
The camera then scans to a close up of LeBeau with tears streaming down her face, in what is one of the most iconic moments in cinematic history.
The image became synonymous with the French resistance, and remains a mainstay of French national pride today.
The image went viral on French social media last year following the terrorist attacks in Paris.
Much like her character in Casablanca, LeBeau fled Paris in 1940 with her Jewish actor husband Marcel Dalio – whose face had been used on Nazi posters guiding people on ´how to spot Jews´.
They managed to cross the atlantic on the SS Quanza from Lisbon, braving a hurricane alongside another 100 Jews.
They eventually arrived in California, where Dalio used his connections to kickstart their careers in Hollywood.
Marie Madeleine Berthe LeBeau was born in Antony, Hauts-de-Seine, France in 1923.
She died May 1 2016 in Estepona, Spain, and is survived by her stepson, the filmmaker Carlo Alberto Pinelli.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35