And with the burgeoning hub of gay-friendly bars and restaurants, there are also a number of beaches within easy reach from the town centre.
Locals and gay travellers alike flock to the beaches which see the biggest gay crowds from April through to October – creating quite a stir in the 60,000 population town.
PRIDE OF THE COAST – El Gato/Eden Gay beach
THE most popular gay beach on the Costa del Sol, summer weekends attract gays in their droves.
You can expect around 500 gays and it is rumoured to be the trendiest crowd on the coast.
Drawing visitors from as far away as Gibraltar and Marbella, the rainbow flags fly high with pride here.
And this gay beach offers free high speed wifi, massages, luxury sunbeds, drag shows and other entertainment on weekends.
Accessibility is good, and the gay venues of El Gato Lounge has friendly gay staff who promise a relaxing beach vibe – and incredible tapas.
GAY BACK IN THE DAY – Poseidon Beach
THE go-to sandy spot for gays during the 1980s and 90s, today Poseidon is no longer gay.
You will find a clutch of gay visitors, mainly those from back in the day that continue to make a habit of hitting this beach.
The ‘gay and happy’ vibe is in short supply here – and the main restaurant is straight along with most who eat and drink there.
SECLUDED SPOT – Guadalmar Beach
AKA Campo Golf beach, it is Torremolinos’ naked gay beach and around a third of visitors tend to be gay – more during weekends.
A 40 minute walk from the centre of town, it also attracts a big straight crowd and although nudity is encouraged, no one will force you to remove your speedos!
If a more secluded spot is your thing this beach is perfect and the two chiringuitos.
NUDE OR ELSE – Benal Natura
SURROUNDED by rocks and a sort of lagoon, it is another nude gay-friendly beach just 15 minute’s drive outside town.
The secluded spot near Torrequebrada has a gay crowd of approximately 40% but less on weekends when it is more family-friendly.
It is a compulsory naked beach supervised by a naturist community, where swimsuits are not permitted.
Visit http://gaytorremolinos.eu/ for more details.
- Property portal Kyero is ‘optimistic’ about the Spanish property market post Brexit vote - 14 Jul, 2016 @ 13:40
- Spain’s ‘original’ eating schedule has stabilising effect - 13 Jul, 2016 @ 13:30
- Restaurant chain La Sala introduces dining in the sky - 10 Jul, 2016 @ 09:30
- Blown away by Tarifa - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:06
- Axarquia town begs for residents to limit water usage while unveiling swimming pool - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:03
- Malaga tourism office releases positive message for British tourists and expats after Brexit vote - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 11:45
- Spanish PM Rajoy claims Malaga ‘has a bright, promising future’ - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 19:11
- Tiger kills zookeeper at Benidorm animal park - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 12:00
- Brexit means Spanish expansion for one UK firm - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 11:04
- Michael Gove’s Spanish-based brother in law is worried about his future after Brexit - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 08:25