A WOMAN in Mijas has been arrested for allegedly starting at least nine wildfires in the Riviera de Mijas area.
Sources have called the woman a ‘pyromaniac’, insisting that she acted with malicious intent.
The Guardia Civil reportedly apprehended the woman as she was in the process of starting another fire.
Authorities have long suspected that the fires were set by a single serial arsonist, and a months-long investigation led them to the woman on August 14, after she allegedly started the fire that swept through the Riviera de Mijas area on Friday afternoon.
That fire caused extensive damage and forced the evacuation of numerous homes. It was extinguished on Saturday morning.
- Reggae star Maxi Priest headlines Gibraltar National Day Concert - 8 Sep, 2015 @ 12:14
- Catalan restaurant charges customer for aspirin - 6 Sep, 2015 @ 18:53
- Michelin-starred London chef expands to Madrid - 6 Sep, 2015 @ 12:31
- Endangered leopard at Bioparc Fuengirola - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 17:49
- Record harvest boosts Spain’s wine exports - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 17:12
- Spain’s top chefs, the Roca brothers, pick out their favourite eateries - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 13:58
- Balloon debate ahead of Gibraltar National Day - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 11:57
- Spanish properties worth up to 124% more with a swimming pool - 4 Sep, 2015 @ 14:59
- Found in Translation - 2 Sep, 2015 @ 18:09
- Spanish flat shares for students are among Europe’s cheapest - 30 Aug, 2015 @ 14:00