A STATELY home fit for a king has undergone a makeover to bring back the glory days.
Left to rot, La Casa de la Cadena had certainly seen better days before a mass restoration project got underway.
In centuries gone by the house played host to the country’s most important politicians and stately figures – none more important than King Felipe V who spent a night at the house in 1706.
However, after years of campaigns the crumbling 17th century manor has finally been restored to its former glory.
“We are proud to be re-opening this important piece of Spanish history,” a spokesman for the Comunidad de Madrid said. “When we started the work last March the house was in desperate need of repair and was on the brink of being knocked down.
“Who knows, maybe a future king will stay the night.”
Located on the outskirts of the city, the building itself was acquired by Chinchon town hall in 2009
The property was so damaged that part of the chapel was declared ruined and had to be demolished and restored.
Inside the middle of the house is a courtyard and outdoor bath.
Tours of the home are expected to begin later this year, although the long term plan for the building is yet to be decided, with interested buyers reportedly eyeing it up.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36