THERE may be plenty of them, but it would appear nobody in Spain quite knows what to do on them.
Now the Guardia Civil has finally released a comprehensive guide into using roundabouts so that Spanish drivers can navigate them successfully (see diagram, right).
Meanwhile, if you are unsure about the correct way to negotiate roundabouts, here are some simple rules from Linea Directa to help you enter and exit them safely and use the correct lane.
It’s important to remember to give way to traffic already on the roundabout. If the roundabout is outside urban areas of towns or cities, keep right.
If the roundabout is in a built-up area inside a town or city and the lanes are clearly marked, you should use the lane that best corresponds to the exit you need to take.
This causes the most confusion among drivers. Drivers must exit roundabouts from the right hand lane, because the only way to leave the roundabout is by turning right. However this simple rule can be more complex in practice.
EXITING FIRST EXIT
Enter roundabout keeping to the right hand lane. Stay in lane until exit is reached. Indicate and exit.
CONTINUING STRAIGHT ON
Enter roundabout keeping to right hand lane. Stay in lane until exit is reached. Indicate prior to exit and leave roundabout.
TURNING LEFT OR CHANGING DIRECTION
Enter roundabout keeping to left hand lane. Stay in lane until you have passed the exit before your turn off, then change lane by indicating right, giving other road users sufficient time to anticipate your manoeuvre.
For more information contact Línea Directa on 902 123 282
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05