FORMER chairman of Banesto bank who was twice jailed for embezzlement has again been arrested on suspicion of money laundering.
Mario Conde was among eight people arrested on Monday, including his son, daughter and her husband.
Since 1999, funds from his Banesto days had reportedly been repatriated to Spain from Switzerland, Luxembourg and the UK in incremental amounts of no more than €3,000, using a network of companies that included an aloe vera producer.
Investigators still believe large sums of fraudulently repatriated funds have never been traced.
Conde, AKA “The Shark”, could face another 12 years in jail after serving less than half of his previous 20-year conviction.
He will appear before a judge later this week.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19