HATE crimes against muslims increased tenfold in Spain, rising from 48 in 2014 to 534 last year.
President of the Spanish Federation of Religious Entities, Mounir Benjelloun, said recent attacks in Paris and Brussels are partly responsible for the increase in anti-Islamic sentiment.
“These types of aggressions increase whenever there is an act of violence in a European country,” he said.
According to Riay Tatary, the head of the Islamic Commission of Spain, mosques have been increasingly vandalised since the attacks in Paris and most recently in Brussles, where 32 were killed.
These have included mosques in Salamanca and Granada.
The Union of Islamic Communities of Spain said in a statement that far-right extremist groups are trying to manipulate public opinion by channeling hate towards muslims.
Madrid police say at least 14 people from the far right were identified at recent protests outside the capital’s main mosque following the Brussels attack.
They arrested a man on Tuesday on suspicion of throwing red paint on the entrance of a mosque and painting swastikas on its door.
He is believed to be part of a growing far-right community that is hostile towards Muslims in Spain.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49