THE Spanish Prime Minister and Catalan President are meeting today in a bid to bridge the gap between Madrid and Barcelona.
Mariano Rajoy and pro-secessionist Catalan President Carles Puigdemont will discuss budget, energy policy and the wealthy region’s persistent demand for an independence referendum.
Rajoy has strongly opposed a Catalan referendum, which has gathered momentum since Scotland was asked if they wanted to leave or remain in the UK.
The pair have also collided over the budget after Rajoy partly blamed Spain
‘s failure to meet its deficit targets on overspending in Catalonia.
More recently, tensions arose when Spain’s Constitutional Court annulled Catalonia’s plan to shield poorer citizens from having their gas or electricity cut in cases of non-payment – citing it overstepped their authority.
Puigdemont said before the meeting: “I don’t think that Catalonia will come back empty-handed.”
But analysts remain skeptical that any initiatives can be started that will bridge the gap between Madrid and Barcelona.
- Manhunt underway after young woman ‘held down and raped in the street’ by ex-boyfriend and pals in Spain’s Sevilla - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 16:49
- Another swimmer dies off beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 15:22
- British expat pensioner brutally murdered near Spain’s Costa del Sol wanted to move closer to pals in Estepona following husband’s death - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 14:10
- RED ALERT: Warnings across Spain as temperatures to surpass 40C TODAY before scorcher along Costa del Sol on Friday - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- British expats in Spain would have ‘strong case’ to sue UK government in case of no-deal Brexit, MP warns - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 12:10
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13