THE Spanish Prime Minister and Catalan President are meeting today in a bid to bridge the gap between Madrid and Barcelona.
Mariano Rajoy and pro-secessionist Catalan President Carles Puigdemont will discuss budget, energy policy and the wealthy region’s persistent demand for an independence referendum.
Rajoy has strongly opposed a Catalan referendum, which has gathered momentum since Scotland was asked if they wanted to leave or remain in the UK.
The pair have also collided over the budget after Rajoy partly blamed Spain
‘s failure to meet its deficit targets on overspending in Catalonia.
More recently, tensions arose when Spain’s Constitutional Court annulled Catalonia’s plan to shield poorer citizens from having their gas or electricity cut in cases of non-payment – citing it overstepped their authority.
Puigdemont said before the meeting: “I don’t think that Catalonia will come back empty-handed.”
But analysts remain skeptical that any initiatives can be started that will bridge the gap between Madrid and Barcelona.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49