THE Spanish Prime Minister and Catalan President are meeting today in a bid to bridge the gap between Madrid and Barcelona.
Mariano Rajoy and pro-secessionist Catalan President Carles Puigdemont will discuss budget, energy policy and the wealthy region’s persistent demand for an independence referendum.
Rajoy has strongly opposed a Catalan referendum, which has gathered momentum since Scotland was asked if they wanted to leave or remain in the UK.
The pair have also collided over the budget after Rajoy partly blamed Spain
‘s failure to meet its deficit targets on overspending in Catalonia.
More recently, tensions arose when Spain’s Constitutional Court annulled Catalonia’s plan to shield poorer citizens from having their gas or electricity cut in cases of non-payment – citing it overstepped their authority.
Puigdemont said before the meeting: “I don’t think that Catalonia will come back empty-handed.”
But analysts remain skeptical that any initiatives can be started that will bridge the gap between Madrid and Barcelona.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35