A FOETUS in Spain is the first in Europe to suffer from Zika virus birth defects.
A pregnant Catalonian woman was infected with Zika and dengue and her foetus is reported to show various defects.
Zika-related microcephaly sees babies born with abnormally small heads and often brain damage.
Spain hosts 105 people infected with the virus – who were infected either in Latin America or through contact with people from the region.
The Zika outbreak began in Brazil in 2015, and 1.5 million people have been infected since, spanning across the Americas, Europe and Asia.
There is no cure or vaccine to prevent or kill the virus, which is passed on by mosquitos or close sexual contact.
In most people there are only mild symptoms including rash, joint pain or fever, but babies born from Zika infected parents can suffer serious defects.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35