ESTEPONA was on the ball with golf while other resorts were still ‘putting’ the idea around.
Hence, the town boasts two of the oldest and best courses on the Costa del Golf.
Grand dames El Paraiso and Atalaya were established in the days when you could build a golf course just about anywhere you liked.
As a result, the quality of the courses is fantastic, built on wonderfully flat land with the mountainous backdrop of the Sierra de las Nieves.
It means you don’t lose so many balls and the courses are easy to walk around.
El Paraiso caters for every kind of golfer, boasting seven different types of membership and up to eight competitions a week for varying abilities.
It also has an active ladies’ section, with more than 200 members.
Atalaya Golf Club proudly dates back to 1968, when the design of the course was more important than fitting it between apartment blocks.
Eucalyptus trees, cacti and palms line the club’s two 18-hole courses – Atalaya Old and Atalaya New – the wide, easy-walking fairways meandering through fountains and flower beds.
As a members’ club open to guests, the course has a lively community feel and the clubhouse is always buzzing.
Although a younger course, founded in 1989, Estepona Golf is renowned for its superb putting surfaces and stunning sea views.
Featuring strong par 3s, it provides an excellent round for players of all standards, with an 18-hole green fee costing just €39 per person.
“ Estepona has the best golfing temperatures in Europe, with over 320 days of sunshine a year and an average of 22 degrees,” explains Jason Callow, of Estepona Golf.
“This coast is one of the best places in Europe for golf, due to the weather, the breathtaking panoramic views across mountains and sea, and of course the great choice on offer.”
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30
- Airlines in Europe could soon be forced to fork out €1,400 for every piece of lost luggage - 7 Apr, 2019 @ 10:31
- Spain has one of smallest number of food-related deaths in world - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00