ESTEPONA was on the ball with golf while other resorts were still ‘putting’ the idea around.
Hence, the town boasts two of the oldest and best courses on the Costa del Golf.
Grand dames El Paraiso and Atalaya were established in the days when you could build a golf course just about anywhere you liked.
As a result, the quality of the courses is fantastic, built on wonderfully flat land with the mountainous backdrop of the Sierra de las Nieves.
It means you don’t lose so many balls and the courses are easy to walk around.
El Paraiso caters for every kind of golfer, boasting seven different types of membership and up to eight competitions a week for varying abilities.
It also has an active ladies’ section, with more than 200 members.
Atalaya Golf Club proudly dates back to 1968, when the design of the course was more important than fitting it between apartment blocks.
Eucalyptus trees, cacti and palms line the club’s two 18-hole courses – Atalaya Old and Atalaya New – the wide, easy-walking fairways meandering through fountains and flower beds.
As a members’ club open to guests, the course has a lively community feel and the clubhouse is always buzzing.
Although a younger course, founded in 1989, Estepona Golf is renowned for its superb putting surfaces and stunning sea views.
Featuring strong par 3s, it provides an excellent round for players of all standards, with an 18-hole green fee costing just €39 per person.
“ Estepona has the best golfing temperatures in Europe, with over 320 days of sunshine a year and an average of 22 degrees,” explains Jason Callow, of Estepona Golf.
“This coast is one of the best places in Europe for golf, due to the weather, the breathtaking panoramic views across mountains and sea, and of course the great choice on offer.”
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05