A WOLF’S head left hanging from a road sign in Spain has infuriated conservationists.
The head was found on Monday in Asturias, and is thought to be a sign of growing discontent for conservation management among local farmers and poachers.
The surge of the wolf population on the Iberian Peninsula – now believed to be at 2,500 – has come with increased attacks on livestock.
The last five years has seen almost 15,000 attacks on farm animals.
Forest rangers group AVISPA said there has been a recent string of wolf decapitations, and that they are most likely revenge for the government’s wolf management plans.
They have called on the Office of Environment in Asturias to launch a full investigation, labelling the beheadings as ‘environmental terrorism’.
Spanish police are appealing for information on the recent deaths, which saw two wolves’ heads hacked from their bodies.
Three more wolves were found dead in the same area over the past month.
Activists marched in their thousands earlier this year to demand greater protection for the Iberian wolf, which can still be hunted by anyone who has a special license.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52