A WOLF’S head left hanging from a road sign in Spain has infuriated conservationists.
The head was found on Monday in Asturias, and is thought to be a sign of growing discontent for conservation management among local farmers and poachers.
The surge of the wolf population on the Iberian Peninsula – now believed to be at 2,500 – has come with increased attacks on livestock.
The last five years has seen almost 15,000 attacks on farm animals.
Forest rangers group AVISPA said there has been a recent string of wolf decapitations, and that they are most likely revenge for the government’s wolf management plans.
They have called on the Office of Environment in Asturias to launch a full investigation, labelling the beheadings as ‘environmental terrorism’.
Spanish police are appealing for information on the recent deaths, which saw two wolves’ heads hacked from their bodies.
Three more wolves were found dead in the same area over the past month.
Activists marched in their thousands earlier this year to demand greater protection for the Iberian wolf, which can still be hunted by anyone who has a special license.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54