A WOLF’S head left hanging from a road sign in Spain has infuriated conservationists.
The head was found on Monday in Asturias, and is thought to be a sign of growing discontent for conservation management among local farmers and poachers.
The surge of the wolf population on the Iberian Peninsula – now believed to be at 2,500 – has come with increased attacks on livestock.
The last five years has seen almost 15,000 attacks on farm animals.
Forest rangers group AVISPA said there has been a recent string of wolf decapitations, and that they are most likely revenge for the government’s wolf management plans.
They have called on the Office of Environment in Asturias to launch a full investigation, labelling the beheadings as ‘environmental terrorism’.
Spanish police are appealing for information on the recent deaths, which saw two wolves’ heads hacked from their bodies.
Three more wolves were found dead in the same area over the past month.
Activists marched in their thousands earlier this year to demand greater protection for the Iberian wolf, which can still be hunted by anyone who has a special license.
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06