A SUSPECTED conman exposed by the Olive Press after allegedly duping a Hollywood stuntman in a €5 million deal may be part of a crime family with hundreds of victims.
Since the Olive Press front-page story on Peter Wicke’s court battle with Jan Herman Brinkman, half a dozen more victims have approached us.
Marbella-based Wicke, 48, handed €2,500 to Brinkman when seeking investors for his film company before smelling a rat and pulling out of a much bigger deal.
But others have not escaped so ‘lightly’.
One Marbella businessman Toon Van De Wiel is battling to get back €90,000 he gave to Brinkman, allegedly for a beach chiringuito investment.
In police documents, the Dutchman claims he was persuaded it was a ‘fabulous’ investment, but the money simply vanished with no comeback.
Van De Wiel told the Olive Press: “We met Brinkman and his wife Johanna Te Riet at our children’s school barbecue last September.
“They became very close to us and he convinced me to invest in this bar in Marbella. So I transferred €90,000 to an IBAN that he said was in wife Johanna’s name.
“But afterwards they claimed they didn’t get the money. They say I didn’t send it, which is preposterous.”
Marbella police are investigating after their bank confirmed the IBAN is under the name of Johanna’s father, Jan Te Riet.
Meanwhile, another Dutchman Gerard Grootte Bromhaar insists Brinkman stole €42,000 in a dodgy property deal.
A signed legal document seen by the Olive Press shows Brinkman, Marbella-based, agreed to repay Bromhaar, but has yet to do so.
Brinkman’s brother-in-law Gert Jan te Riet was the subject of a TV crime investigation by Dutch journalist Rob Vorkink in 2010, before moving to Spain. The Brinkmans were not available for comment as we went to press.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00