THERESA MAY has been advised to send Royal Navy warships to Gibraltar to ‘protect it from Spain’ during Brexit negotiations.
Former Ministry of Defence special adviser Luke Coffey said it is necessary to stave off Spain’s plans for joint sovereignty of the Rock.
He said: “Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liam Fox, Michael Fallon, and David Davis should make a joint visit to Gibraltar as soon as possible.
“To show that this is an issue of national importance, members of the Shadow Cabinet and representatives from other political parties in Westminster should be invited to join as well.
“The Ministry of Defence should also make a grand gesture by increasing the Royal Navy’s visible presence in Gibraltar.
“This would send an important message to the Gibraltarians.”
Leaders in Madrid wasted no time in demanding joint sovereignty of the British territory, calling for it on the very same day the EU referendum result was announced.
Spain’s Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo added that the result meant a ‘complete change of outlook’ over the disputed territory, despite an overwhelming majority of its residents having repeatedly voted to remain British.
Coffey, writing on the Conservative Home website, added: “The UK needs to prepare for the worst.
“This could include maintaining a robust air bridge if the land border is closed.
“Also, in the event of a border closure by Spain, the UK must be prepared to respond with appropriate, firm, and proportionate measures against Madrid.”
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40