A SMALL Spanish town has been criticised for alleged cruelty to animals after video footage surfaced showing young calves being taunted, stabbed and killed during its festival.
PACMA has denounced the practice, which sees un-trained matadors slaughtering young bulls.
The political group has released footage of Valmojado Toledo residents taking turns to spear a number of calves inside the town’s bullring.
The video has sparked such outrage that the town hall has been forced to remove both its Facebook and Twitter pages due to an avalanche of criticism.
The event – known as a becerrada – takes place every August where residents are pitted against calves aged between one and two years old.
Valmojado, southwest of Madrid, released a statement defending the spectacle, which it said is a legitimate part of the country’s bullfighting culture.
It also lambasted the insults and abuse it says it and its residents have received since animal rights group PACMA released the video online.
The video shows young people in a bull ring taunting calves with bull-fighting capes and sticking lances in their backs.
One is stabbed with a sword in matador fashion and another is finished off with a knife.
The town hall said it wished to “reiterate our absolute rejection of all types of animal mistreatment,” adding that it was seeking legal advice regarding the insults, which it said “tarnished the good name of Valmojado, its history and traditions.”
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35