AN MI6 report has revealed that Winston Churchill had to bribe Spain to prevent it joining the Nazis in the Second World War.
When an MI6 spy, known as Agent T, uncovered a secret meeting between Adolf Hitler and Spain’s dictator General Franco about entering WWII as an ally of the Nazis in 1940, a panicked Churchill spent the equivalent of €996 million to halt the plan.
The money was used to bribe Spanish generals and businessmen to persuade Franco not to support the Third Reich.
The bribery has been revealed by Angel Vinas, author of Bribes: How Churchill and March Bought Franco’s Generals.
Vinas claims Agent T was a member of the Falange – Spain’s fascist political party – who was secretly working for MI6 to the tune of 5,000 pesetas a month.
Franco steered clear of formally joining the Axis powers, but did allow volunteers to join the German army on the clear condition they would only fight against Soviet forces.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29