FLAMENCO star Estrella Morente is set to open a toro-themed hotel in the Ronda area.
The stylish singer is designing the hotel with her handsome matador husband Javier Conde.
The Granada star has teamed up with Malaga-born Conde to develop the ‘cortijo-style’ hotel, that will have seven bedrooms, all linked in some way to the bullfighting tradition.
The three-star hotel, which will be 800-square metres in size, is to be built in a rural area a few kilometres from the town, near the stunning Tajo del Abanico cave.
The 700,000 euro project will count on its own mini-bullfighting ring, as well as a small museum into the bullfighting tradition.
It was expected to get the green light from Ronda town hall this week.
The town hall’s public works boss Francisco Marquez confirmed that the couple had applied to build the hotel some time ago and that so far it had met all the legal requirements.
The Olive Press can reveal that the pair have been looking to buy a project in the area for a number of years.
“They have been looking around the Serrania at hotels and properties for years,” revealed a source. “They love the amazing landscape and believe it will be a popular business.”
Ronda is often dubbed Spain’s spiritual home of bullfighting having Spain’s oldest ring and having spawned a number of leading bullfighters.
Orson Welles and Ernest Hemingway spent a lot of time in the town studying and writing about the art.
Ronda is also to become the home for a key project by famous French designer Philip Starck, who is hoping to open an ecological olive mill just outside the town.
The Almazara LA Organic project features a main building with the face of a bull.
The project, which sits on 22 hectares of land, is currently being redesigned, as it was believed to have been too large for the area.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27