THE leafy enclave of Guadalmina on the westerly fringes of San Pedro has become as sought-after an address as Marbella’s own ‘Golden Mile’.
I was lucky enough to spend the summers of my youth there, when Guadalmina Alta became my home away from home.
Some 15 years later and this village-sized resort still has an enviable location and a neighbourly feel.
It’s just five minutes from Puerto Banus, ten minutes from Marbella and an easy seafront stroll from San Pedro and there are all kinds of reasons to make that journey – not least an 18-hole golf course and a cable ski lake offering adrenalin-charged thrills for the watersports set.
The local dining scene is also a lot tastier than 10 years ago, with a score of restaurants offering a feast of multi-ethnic fare, from a new vegan cafe and Japanese wok restaurant to the unrivalled La Rosa Argentinian steak house and the long-established Tricky Ricky’s, still doing a roaring trade in traditional English breakfasts.
Over the road from the restaurant strip, Guadalmina Baja is home to palatial villas that wouldn’t look out of place in Beverly Hills and the list of celebrity residents is growing longer, with an ex-Spanish Prime Minister now in residence and royalty too. The Princess of Monaco is rumoured to live close by.
It’s no surprise that local and international home buyers are also gravitating to this peaceful green San Pedro suburb for its bucolic charm, with bright resort city lights and everything else you need on the doorstep.
Looking for the perfect agent to help in your search? Well Winkworth’s set up here two years ago. Find them at www. winkworth.es or call 952 880 941.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27