NATO and Spain had to scramble jets to steer off two Russian Blackjack bombers which had flown into Spanish territory.
Spain sent two F-18 fighters to intercept the Russian planes north of Bilbao before the bombers turned around and flew north.
Norway, the UK and France were also forced to send their jets to intercept the TU-160 planes, as they skirted the airspace of each country.
Spanish media say it is the furthest south such an operation has had to take place.
The skirmish occurred on September 22 but news of the event has only been released today by the French Ministry of Defence.
It comes as relations between the West and Russia remain at a low and continue to fray over Syria.
The frequency of Russian bombers having to be intercepted by NATO planes is said to have increased dramatically over the last few years.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33