NATO and Spain had to scramble jets to steer off two Russian Blackjack bombers which had flown into Spanish territory.
Spain sent two F-18 fighters to intercept the Russian planes north of Bilbao before the bombers turned around and flew north.
Norway, the UK and France were also forced to send their jets to intercept the TU-160 planes, as they skirted the airspace of each country.
Spanish media say it is the furthest south such an operation has had to take place.
The skirmish occurred on September 22 but news of the event has only been released today by the French Ministry of Defence.
It comes as relations between the West and Russia remain at a low and continue to fray over Syria.
The frequency of Russian bombers having to be intercepted by NATO planes is said to have increased dramatically over the last few years.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31