A SPANISH boy has had his Google bill waived after he accidentally racked up €100,000 in advertising fees.
The search engine said 12-year-old Jose Javier, from Torrevieja, made an unintended and ‘costly mistake’ in an attempt to make his brass band famous online.
Jose had created an account with AdWords, a Google pay-per-click service, that puts adverts above search results and on other websites.
The customer gives their credit card details and only pays when someone clicks on the link.
Jose – whose parents had set him up with an account – gave his banking details, but thought he was actually going to earn money from ads on his homemade website.
Google said they realised that ‘it was all a mistake and that he did it without thinking.’
“A 12-year-old boy doesn’t want to start spending €100,000,” a spokeswoman said.
His mother Inma Quesada said her son wanted to buy instruments for his band Los Salerosos, loosely translated as The Salties, in which he plays the trumpet.
His parents discovered he was racking up debt when the bank called them to warn about the charges.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40