A SPANISH boy has had his Google bill waived after he accidentally racked up €100,000 in advertising fees.
The search engine said 12-year-old Jose Javier, from Torrevieja, made an unintended and ‘costly mistake’ in an attempt to make his brass band famous online.
Jose had created an account with AdWords, a Google pay-per-click service, that puts adverts above search results and on other websites.
The customer gives their credit card details and only pays when someone clicks on the link.
Jose – whose parents had set him up with an account – gave his banking details, but thought he was actually going to earn money from ads on his homemade website.
Google said they realised that ‘it was all a mistake and that he did it without thinking.’
“A 12-year-old boy doesn’t want to start spending €100,000,” a spokeswoman said.
His mother Inma Quesada said her son wanted to buy instruments for his band Los Salerosos, loosely translated as The Salties, in which he plays the trumpet.
His parents discovered he was racking up debt when the bank called them to warn about the charges.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37