RELATIVES and henchmen of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad have been enjoying and flaunting luxury lifestyles in the West.
While his compatriots are engulfed in a bloody civil war, uncle to Bashar, Rifaat al-Assad, flits between his nine-bedroom house in Mayfair, London and his mansion in Marbella’s exclusive Gray D-Albion estate.
Rifaat is suspected of acquiring his wealth through illegal means and has had his assets in France – worth around €100m – frozen by authorities.
But while he continues to face probes, his assets remain active in the UK and Spain.
Meanwhile, his son is enjoying the scenes surrounding his eight-bedroom luxury home in the Crown Estate in Oxshott, Surrey.
But it’s Akram Ojjeh Junior, the grandson of Mustafa Tlass, the former defence minister who fled Syria at the outbreak of the war, who has the least qualms in flaunting his enviable lifestyle.
Akram regularly posts pictures to his Facebook and Instagram accounts showing him driving Bugattis and Ferraris and posing with Kalashnikov machine guns.
The pair appear to have settled in comfortably to the city’s socialite scene.
Chris Doyle, director of the Council for Arab-British Understanding, said:
“Rifaat al-Assad, Mustafa Tlass and Abdel Halim Khaddam were the kingpins and founding godfathers of the brutal Assad regime that has decimated Syria for decades.
“Having fleeced Syria for so much wealth, it is galling to Syrians to see them flaunt their ill-gotten millions all across Europe while millions of Syrians languish in refugee camps.”
The Syrian civil war broke out in 2011 and has claimed almost 500,000 lives.
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52