THE 100 richest people in Spain are worth the equivalent of 18% of the country’s GDP.
The stinkingly rich group have amassed a fortune worth a combined €198 billion – an increase of 4.8% from last year.
Leaders of textiles and food giants lead the way, with Zara’s Amancio Ortega and Mercadona’s Juan Roig taking first and second place respectively.
Roig is worth €8 billion while Ortega’s €71 billion fortune is worth more than the next 23 on the list combined.
His Inditex fashion house is home to brands including Massimo Dutti, Zara and Pull & Bear, while his property portfolio features hotels and skyscrapers from Madrid to Miami.
Third on the list is Rafael del Pino, owner of construction giant Ferrovial, who is worth €7.65 billion.
Daughter to Ortega, Sandra Ortega, takes fourth with €7.6 billion, while Mango CEO Isak Andic closes out the top five with a net worth of €4.2 billion.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18