SOME 1,500 people have helped to reforest Santa Margarita and La Alcaidesa following the devastating fires in July.
More than 20,000 seeds and dozens of trees have been planted after locals came armed with their own tools and specimens of seeds and plants.
Reaching a ‘level one’ alert, the early summer fire burnt hundreds of hectares of land and forced hundreds of people out of their homes.
Nearby Hotel Aldiana moved 425 guests, mostly German and British, to a sports centre in La Linea where they spent two nights while firefighters tackled the blaze.
Meanwhile, 180 people were evacuated from albergue Cortijo La Alcaidesa and taken to another sports centre in San Roque and dozens of homeowners followed suit.
Verdemar spokesman Alfredo Valencia has commended the effort of locals to help restore the area.
“They have exceeded all expectations,” he said. “We have had a huge impact on an environmental level, planting so much new green life while removing one ton of rubbish from the area.”
Alongside other groups, like SOS Sierra Carbonera, Verdemar members also visited schools and colleges to discuss the devastating impact of forest fires and how they can start.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27