SOME 1,500 people have helped to reforest Santa Margarita and La Alcaidesa following the devastating fires in July.
More than 20,000 seeds and dozens of trees have been planted after locals came armed with their own tools and specimens of seeds and plants.
Reaching a ‘level one’ alert, the early summer fire burnt hundreds of hectares of land and forced hundreds of people out of their homes.
Nearby Hotel Aldiana moved 425 guests, mostly German and British, to a sports centre in La Linea where they spent two nights while firefighters tackled the blaze.
Meanwhile, 180 people were evacuated from albergue Cortijo La Alcaidesa and taken to another sports centre in San Roque and dozens of homeowners followed suit.
Verdemar spokesman Alfredo Valencia has commended the effort of locals to help restore the area.
“They have exceeded all expectations,” he said. “We have had a huge impact on an environmental level, planting so much new green life while removing one ton of rubbish from the area.”
Alongside other groups, like SOS Sierra Carbonera, Verdemar members also visited schools and colleges to discuss the devastating impact of forest fires and how they can start.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31