FOUR of Spain’s top ten most visited monuments are in Andalucia.
A list compiled by El Pais shows that the La Alhambra in Granada received 2.5 million visitors last year, and was the fourth most visited in the country.
The stunning palace and fortress was originally constructed in 889 AD before being renovated by Moors in the 13th century.
Cordoba’s La Mezquita – a stunning mosque originating from the 8th century – featured at number six with 1.6 million visitors.
The historic place of worship is followed by Sevilla’s Catedral de Santa Maria and Real Alcazar which both received 1.5 million visitors last year.
Andalucia is the most represented region on the list, followed by Madrid which has three monuments and Barcelona with two.
Topping the list with 3.7 million visitors is Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, or Basilica, which began construction in 1852 and is still undergoing works to its roof structure.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20