A LUXEMBOURG MEP is calling for Remainers in the UK to be allowed to become ‘associate members’ to the EU.
Charles Goerens, from the Democratic Party of Luxembourg, has argued that those in Britain who want to stay in the union should be able to pay for membership by contributing directly to the EU budget each year.
“An associate membership could provide all the rights of full European citizenship, for example the right to freedom of movement, access to healthcare in the EU and the right to reside in EU member states,” he said.
“I see no reason why the EU should not, in principle, offer an individual EU associate citizenship to UK citizens who wish to maintain their European identity.”
The idea has since generated interest on social media and Mr Goerens says many British MEPs have expressed support.
It will be hard to achieve by the 2019 deadline for Brexit and could only become law after a treaty change as it would alter the very nature of EU citizenship.
It would also need the support of all 28 members.
However the idea has received backing by the influential Belgian MEP Guy Verhofstadt, who will also be the European Parliament’s lead negotiator in Brexit.
The European Parliament will vote on the proposal next month – it is Amendment 882 in a long report on possible future EU treaty changes.
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16