A LUXEMBOURG MEP is calling for Remainers in the UK to be allowed to become ‘associate members’ to the EU.
Charles Goerens, from the Democratic Party of Luxembourg, has argued that those in Britain who want to stay in the union should be able to pay for membership by contributing directly to the EU budget each year.
“An associate membership could provide all the rights of full European citizenship, for example the right to freedom of movement, access to healthcare in the EU and the right to reside in EU member states,” he said.
“I see no reason why the EU should not, in principle, offer an individual EU associate citizenship to UK citizens who wish to maintain their European identity.”
The idea has since generated interest on social media and Mr Goerens says many British MEPs have expressed support.
It will be hard to achieve by the 2019 deadline for Brexit and could only become law after a treaty change as it would alter the very nature of EU citizenship.
It would also need the support of all 28 members.
However the idea has received backing by the influential Belgian MEP Guy Verhofstadt, who will also be the European Parliament’s lead negotiator in Brexit.
The European Parliament will vote on the proposal next month – it is Amendment 882 in a long report on possible future EU treaty changes.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18