AN expat couple have been left ‘devastated’ after their town hall carried out a dramatic last-minute U-turn on plans to build a one-way system through their home.
Disabled Brit John Gray and his wife Deborah’s home in Alhaurin el Grande is to be demolished to make way for the road.
This is despite the town hall promising that the road would be diverted around their home, following an Olive Press story in April.
“It is absolutely heartbreaking,” telesales worker Deborah, 57, told the Olive Press. “We were promised that the plans would be altered to avoid our home but the town hall have gone back on their word and there is nothing we can do.”
The adjoining houses have already been demolished, leaving a ‘gateway’ into their home for opportunistic burglars, who have raided their home a number of times.
So far around £600 worth of the Grays’ possessions have been stolen, including a power washer, kitchen appliances and tools.
Retired bricklayer John Gray, 76, from Hertfordshire, uses a wheelchair due to a lung disease called COPD and is currently undergoing tests for suspected cancer.
The couple are now being forced to take the €35,000 originally offered by the town hall, despite paying €66,000 for the two-bed, two-bathroom property in 2003.
A town hall spokesman said that they had looked into alternatives but no written agreement was ever agreed.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36