ESCAPING the UK’s winter freeze for a week on the Costa del Sol is almost a rite of passage for British families.
And following a bumper summer season, Torremolinos has been named as the preferred winter sun destination for holidaying Brits this year.
Tour operator giants TUI and Jet2Holidays said there had been a 10% rise in people booking package holidays to the resort this winter season.
In an interview with the town’s mayor TUI’s Director of Tourism, Mafie Vandeplassche, said one explanation for the rise was the refurbishment of hotels such as those owned by the RIU chain.
“Torremolinos is proving ever-popular with British tourists,” he said. “Its proximity to Malaga airport, affordability and improvements to infrastructure are all drawing points.”
Mayor José Ortiz‘s decision to pedestrianise the town centre and push for more cultural activities may also have played a part in its increased popularity.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09