UNPRECEDENTED levels of rain have left parts of the Costa del Sol a ‘red alert’ disaster zone.
People have been forced to ‘cling’ to their roofs in Mijas and Cartama, according to residents, in what local police are calling the worst rains since 1989.
A red danger warning, the highest possible, has been issued by Spanish meteorological service Aemet for the region after a massive 200 litres of water per cubic metre fell in just 12 hours.
An amount equivalent to one month’s rain has fallen over the weekend.
— María Moreno (@mmorenovera) December 4, 2016
Electricity has been cut off in large parts of Manilva and Sabinillas as roads are turned into rivers.
The main A7 motorway and underpass has also been shut, with more rain forecast for this afternoon.
Roads have also been shut in Estepona and Marbella after rivers burst their banks and drains blocked up, with thousands of homes facing flooding.
Well over 200 emergency calls have been made over the weekend due to the weather, which has caused mudslides in Malaga and in the Sierras.
Today’s planned Malaga marathon has been cancelled due to big safety fears.
The rain storm has also wreaked havoc further afield in Andalucia, with floods reported in Cadiz.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09