GREAT Britain and Spain have made it to the final eight of this year’s Davis Cup.
But team GB came through in awkward circumstances.
Brit Kyle Edmund was two sets to love up and leading 2-1 in the third in the decider when his 17-year-old Canadian opponent Denis Shapovalov tried to blast a ball into the stands in a fit of rage.
However, by accident, the ball hit umpire Arnaud Gabas straight in his eye. He was unable to continue and he disqualified Shapovalov.
“It was a strange way to finish,” Edmund said. “I’ve never been part of something like that.”
“On paper I had an advantage but you don’t play on paper, you play on a hard court. Anything can happen in the Davis Cup so I’m very pleased.”
Spain qualified by winning both their singles rubbers in Croatia.
Roberto Bautista beat Franko Skugor in four sets before Pablo Carreno Busta defeated Nikola Mektic 7-6(4) 6-1 6-4.
Australia, France, the United States and Serbia all also qualified.
In the quarter-finals, Australia will host the United States, Serbia will play Spain, France face Britain and Belgium will go to either Argentina or Italy, who have had play delayed by rain in Buenos Aires.
All ties will be played over the weekend of April 7-9.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22