A DUO of European lawyers are demanding answers over a ‘classified’ court case that has kept a Spanish family behind bars for almost 18 months without being charged.
Deputy of the European Parliament Jean-Luc Shaffhauser, from France, and deputy of European Parliament, Georgios Epitideios, from Greece, have asked the Consejo General del Poder Judicial and the General Prosecutor of Spain to explain what is happening to Vladimir Kokorev, his wife Yuliia and his son Igor.
Las Palmas Court No. 5 suspects all three family members of money laundering and they have been kept in prison on the Canary Islands for almost a year and a half.
But there has yet to be any formal charges brought against the Kokorevs while the case has been labelled classified.
The defense claims they have documentary evidence that can prove the legitimacy of all contracts concluded by the Kokorevs’ companies.
The deputies said in a statement: “It is difficult not to agree with the defense’s opinion, which states that the record is being kept secret to hide the lack of evidence against the Kokorevs.
“It makes you think that this is a political case and that there are interests being served.
“Otherwise it is impossible to explain the obvious and flagrant violations of the norms of international law and the laws of the Kingdom of Spain.”
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40