A DUO of European lawyers are demanding answers over a ‘classified’ court case that has kept a Spanish family behind bars for almost 18 months without being charged.
Deputy of the European Parliament Jean-Luc Shaffhauser, from France, and deputy of European Parliament, Georgios Epitideios, from Greece, have asked the Consejo General del Poder Judicial and the General Prosecutor of Spain to explain what is happening to Vladimir Kokorev, his wife Yuliia and his son Igor.
Las Palmas Court No. 5 suspects all three family members of money laundering and they have been kept in prison on the Canary Islands for almost a year and a half.
But there has yet to be any formal charges brought against the Kokorevs while the case has been labelled classified.
The defense claims they have documentary evidence that can prove the legitimacy of all contracts concluded by the Kokorevs’ companies.
The deputies said in a statement: “It is difficult not to agree with the defense’s opinion, which states that the record is being kept secret to hide the lack of evidence against the Kokorevs.
“It makes you think that this is a political case and that there are interests being served.
“Otherwise it is impossible to explain the obvious and flagrant violations of the norms of international law and the laws of the Kingdom of Spain.”
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05