AN BRITISH ex-rock star is suing the Spanish government after being fingered for a murder he didn’t commit.
Gary Owens, from Stockport, will also sue the British government after what says has been a 25-year nightmare.
Owens was twice arrested and held in jail on remand in 1991 and in 2008, on suspicion of playing a part in the death of a wealthy Norwegian club owner on the Costa del Sol.
In total he spent almost three years in prison.
The guitarist, whose band A II Z made the UK heavy metal charts in 1980 and played with the likes of Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, has finally been told there is no case against him.
Owens said: “We want an investigation at the national level in the UK and Spain. I have been unjustly treated by the Spanish and British justice systems. We are claiming compensation from the Spanish system for false imprisonment and human rights breaches.
“I want to know how the Spanish justice system can destroy my life…It is a total disgrace.”
The body of Mr Heta, 33, the owner of a nightclub and recording studio in Marbella, was found down a well in 1991.
Owens was first arrested after a Spanish policeman tapped on the window of him and his partner Jayne’s Renault hire car in Tenerife.
A shotgun was thrust through and was just inches away from his face before 15 officers swarmed around the vehicle and arrested him on April 2 1991.
Eleven other people were arrested in connection with the murder but it remains unsolved.
Owens is calling for a public inquiry into why he was wrongfully imprisoned.
The UK Foreign Office said: “We provided consular assistance to a British man and his family after he was imprisoned in Spain in November 2009.”
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35